Winter is coming, and the Lions prepare to do battle on court

By: John Curanaj, Staff Reporter

With the approach of the winter season, Thornton Donovan is gearing up for the boys and girls basketball season.

A constant contact letter has been emailed to students’ parents with the announcement of tryouts beginning November 17th and ending November 20th. Students from 7th to 12th grade will be able to participate in open tryouts. The practice will be held from 3:15 to 4:15. For those trying out, bring water, a t-shirt, shorts, and basketball shoes.

Since tryouts will sometimes be held outside, students will need to have sweatshirts and sweatpants with them. A liability form handed to the students by T-D Athletic Director and Boys Basketball Coach, Mr. Schlitten, must be signed by November 17; also, students must have a physical exam dated from March 2nd 2014.

After the tryouts have ended, the students will be able to see who made the team the following day in the Admissions Office. A payment of $500 must be paid by November 24th. TD is offering a tuition plan with a partial payment of $250, and the rest can be paid at a later date.

Boys and girls practice will be held at Thornton Donovan campus from 3:10 to 3:50 PM, and afterwards the players will go to Anshe Sholom Synagogue where they will play from 4:00 to 5:00 PM. Girls practice will be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and boys practice will be held on Mondays and Wednesdays. However, Fridays both the boys and girls practice will be held at TD from 3:10 to 5:00 PM.

Mr. Schlitten and the Girls Basketball Coach, Mr. Chapin, will make it so that everyone that is on the team will play based on their performance, effort, and behavior.

According to Mr. Chapin, “This year is another step towards Mr. Schlitten’s goal of building a sports foundation at Thornton-Donovan for the present and the future. He has brought sports to T-D after the school previously did not offer it in its 113 years of existence, and he deserves all the plaudits for making it a reality.”

Additionally explained by Mr. Schlitten in the constant contact email, “Our goal is to teach our athletes the sport of basketball and to produce a winning program.”