The Overlook Journal

Ranking the Star Wars Movies: A Series Retrospective

Lucasfilm

Lucasfilm

By: Georgy Tikhomirov, Staff Reporter

Star Wars is something that is a classic. People have watched it for decades, and most love it. Yet, some movies in the series are better than others, and sometimes people on the Internet don’t know what they’re saying when they rank these movies. Star Wars movies must be ranked properly so new audiences know what to expect.

These are the Star Wars movies ranked worst to best (NOTE: The Clone Wars animated movie will not be ranked).

1. STAR WARS: EPISODE II- ATTACK OF THE CLONES

This movie should have been good since it was introducing the deadly clone troopers that will be used by the Republic. But it wasn’t. Zam Wesell, the Bounty Hunter from the beginning wore a mask, and she was a shapeshifter. In the originals, Yoda says that the Force is a Jedi’s weapon, but in this movie Obi-Wan says to Anakin, “This weapon is your life,” and he was talking about a lightsaber. This is annoying because they ruin what the Jedi are. The Jedi are supposed to be people who are strong in the Force and don’t rely on weapons like lightsabers for everything. The Jedi only use their lightsabers if they have to and fight only when needed. There are many more mistakes, but if I went through all the mistakes, it would take forever.

My rating- 29/100  Rotten tomatoes- 66%  Audience Score- 57%

1. STAR WARS: EPISODE I- THE PHANTOM MENACE

The Phantom Menace was the first of the prequels and people thought it would be good due to the original trilogy, but it wasn’t. It introduced Jar Jar Binks, a completely useless character. Many fans hate him and think he is an insult to Star Wars, and I agree. In The Phantom Menace, the Force is just a bunch of cells called midichlorians – such a letdown – or something that everyone has, not a power that only Jedi have.

My rating- 40/100  Rotten tomatoes- 55%  Audience Score- 59%

1. STAR WARS: EPISODE III- REVENGE OF THE SITH

Revenge of the Sith was a bad movie. It was the best out of the prequels, without a doubt, but still that’s not saying much. Personally, the worst part for me from Revenge of the Sith is that Palpatine gives more than a hint to Anakin that he is the Sith, yet Anakin only realizes it in the end. Also, Yoda threw his lightsaber at a clone and ran to retrieve it instead of using the Force to get it, which is weird. They mention midichlorians again in this movie, which is pretty annoying because, again, not everyone can have the Force!

My rating- 50/100  Rotten tomatoes- 79%  Audience Score- 65%

1. STAR WARS: EPISODE VII- THE FORCE AWAKENS

The Force Awakens was the first Star Wars movie in 10 years. And it was decent. Disney hired J.J. Abrams of Star Trek fame to tell a new story, a story for a new generation. But was it really? Many people view The Force Awakens as A New Hope with different characters. So, my biggest problem with it is that it isn’t original. I liked some comedy – “It’s the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 14 parasecs? 12!” – in this movie and some nice fight scenes, but overall, I think the only problem that holds The Force Awakens back is that it isn’t original.

My rating- 80/100  Rotten tomatoes- 93%  Audience Score- 88%

1. STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII- THE LAST JEDI

In terms of originality, The Last Jedi was very good. We all expected it to be like The Empire Strikes Back, but it wasn’t. We expected Rey to get her hand cut off and Kylo Ren to tell her that he is her brother, but that’s not what we got. I liked that Rian Johnson brought back the wise Yoda from the originals, not the obvious one from the prequels – “Twisted by the Dark Side, Dooku is,” we know, Yoda! I like the huge fight in space in the beginning with the Resistance Bomber.  The main problem with this movie, however, is that they ruin Luke Skywalker. In The Last Jedi, you see Luke as a coward, and many fans hate this. But overall, this movie was okay.

My rating- 89/100  Rotten tomatoes- 91%  Audience Score- 48%

1. ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY

This movie was great. Many people love it. It had a solid plot, and although, personally, before Rogue One hit theaters, I was disappointed they weren’t going to continue the new trilogy, after I saw it I was very happy that they made this movie. Some people say that this movie was not necessary, but I think that Disney has a good idea in making a few Star Wars stories. The characters are surrounded in mystery, and it is definitely good to read a bit on their history.  A book about Jyn’s story before the Rebellion found her is a good example of this. I will name the book at the end.   

My rating- 92/100  Rotten tomatoes- 85%  Audience Score- 87%

1. STAR WARS: EPISODE IV- A NEW HOPE

A New Hope was the first Star Wars movie ever created. Originally known simply as Star Wars, this movie set the standard for the Star Wars franchise. The part on the Death Star where Luke and Han try to save Leia was awesome. The fight scene with Ben Kenobi and Darth Vader was incredible as it had added meaning behind it, and the part where the Rebellion tries to blow up the Death Star is phenomenal – it just excites you. However, without a doubt this movie is the worst out of the originals and at some points feels slow-moving; however, it needed to tell the backstory and set up the hero’s journey.

My rating- 94/100  Rotten tomatoes- 93%  Audience Score- 96%

1. STAR WARS: EPISODE VI- RETURN OF THE JEDI

The conclusion to the original trilogy showed us Luke, Han, and Leia maturing – most of all Luke as he becomes a Jedi, confronts his father, and fights the Dark Side. We see the Rebellion with one last chance to destroy the galactic Empire, and we see the Emperor’s full evil. When people say this movie revolves around destroying the Death Star mainly – save when Luke, Leia, and Chewie rescue Han – it doesn’t. Destroying the Death Star was part of destroying the Empire, the main point of the original trilogy! The conclusion to the original trilogy is a fun movie to watch, one of those movies that you wish never ended.

My rating- 97/100  Rotten tomatoes- 80%  Audience Score- 94%

1. STAR WARS: EPISODE V- THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

The Empire Strikes Back is said to be the best Star Wars movie ever, and it is – at least in my opinion. In fact, some people say that it is one of the best cinematic masterpieces ever, and, again, it is, according to me. Yoda was his sage, old self, representative of the Jedi values and the power of the Force. This film gives you “edge of the seat suspense,” as critics like to say. It’s a film in which the worst part is when it is over. The fight scene with Luke and Vader in the end is gripping; it’s what this movie has but what most of the others do not. Dagobah, meanwhile, is a necessary scene and also is very fun. Interesting fact: Did you know that George Lucas, talking about the Yoda puppet used in making the film, said, “It was a real leap, because if that puppet didn’t work, the whole film was going to fail.” You can watch this movie over and over, and you won’t be bored; in fact, you will love it!

My rating- 99/100  Rotten tomatoes- 94%  Audience Score- 97%

Books you might want to read on Star Wars:

Star Wars Trilogy – A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi by George Lucas, Alan Dean Foster, & Donald F. Glut – read them, and they will give you new insight through the different characters’ thoughts.

Rebel Rising by Beth Revis, or Rogue One on Jyn as I said I would name.