T- D’s Student Council Delivery Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

T- D’s Student Council Delivery Day

By: Cecile McIntosh, Writer

During the month of March, Thornton-Donovan School’s Student Council sponsored a food drive where they collected nonperishable items like peanut butter, canned tuna, and canned beans. Their goal was to fill four boxes, but they exceeded the goal and filled six boxes. These donations were given HOPE Community Services in New Rochelle.

On March 29, student council members delivered the items that were collected. When they arrived, they met with Executive Director Carole Troum and Associate Director Terry Hamburger. Together, the student council transferred the boxes from the van to the HOPE pantry. Afterwards, they participated in a discussion with Troum. She told them some mind-blowing facts, including that one-in-four children go to bed hungry with stomach pains. Furthermore, HOPE Community Services distributed 450,000 meals in 2017 alone. It was interesting to think that there were so many meals given in just one town in New York.

After the discussion, the student council members took a tour of the facility. They saw the dining area and the kitchen. Troum told them that she does “not feel like food is a privilege; it is a given right. Therefore, we have waiters to serve the people instead of having people wait in line like for a concert.” The student council also met four women in the kitchen who work behind the scenes and do extraordinary work for HOPE on a daily basis.

Before leaving, members also learned more about some seasonal programs that HOPE offers to better assist the needs of children in New Rochelle. During the Summer/Fall, HOPE collects backpacks and school supplies to prepare children for the new school year.  Faculty advisers Ms. Coffin and Ms. Tudisco noted that “the tour of HOPE opened student council’s eyes and hearts to the needs of our local community and this awareness has sealed student council’s commitment to collaborate with Hope regularly with donations of food, backpacks, school supplies, and more to help HOPE accomplish its mission.”

While leaving, the members conversed with Troum and Hamburger, and the directors requested that T-D’s Student Council return for more community service outings.

As Mila Mabhongo stated, “it was a pleasure to deliver boxes of food to a place that helps many people in need.”