The student news site of Thornton-Donovan School

The Overlook Journal

Earthquake Hits Central Mexico

By: Molly Cummings, Staff Reporter

On Tuesday, September 19th, Mexico was struck by a tragic earthquake. The earthquake hit around 1:00 p.m. local time just south of Mexico City, according to CBS News. The magnitude of this earthquake was roughly around 7.1.
Around 225 people were killed, including 21 children who were attending school when the building collapsed. At least 30 children were still missing as of 2 a.m. on Wednesday according to NBC News. Fortunately, 52 people have been saved so far and rescuers are still searching for more.
Several buildings collapsed in the nation’s capital of Mexico City and the surrounding area. The citizens scrambled to get out of their homes and ran into the streets trying to escape the crashing buildings. Windows shattered and fell several stories down, power poles fell and blocked streets, public transportation systems were shut down, and five million people were left without power.
Currently, according to CNN News, the citizens of Mexico City, including college students, are now helping to dig away the rubble from the many buildings that fell. These rescuers periodically took moments of silence to try to hear voices calling out from under the debris.
In a twist of fate, this earthquake occurred on the anniversary of another deadly quake in Mexico City that killed over 1,000 people 32 years ago.

For ways in which you can help please visit the following:  https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/300627#