T-D Welcomes Japanese Guests

Areth Fuller/PA Wire

By: Olivia Cahill, Staff Reporter

On March 11, Japanese students from Sera High School in Sera, Hiroshima, arrived to spend two weeks studying at Thornton-Donovan. The schools have a longstanding relationship. As recently as last June, a group of T-D upper schoolers traveled to Hiroshima shortly after T-D ended its school year.

Hosted by T-D families, each Japanese student caught a glimpse of what living in New York is like. After spending the weekend with their host families, they got to experience New York City with T-D’s headmaster, Mr. Fleming. Their itinerary included a buggy ride in Central Park, Madam Tussaud’s Wax Museum, and the 9/11 Memorial.  

“I hosted Kiyo because she hosted me when I went to Japan last summer and I wanted to give her the same hospitality that she gave me,” said junior Amber Corbett. “I also really enjoyed being able to venture throughout New York with her.”  

Corbett also talked about the activities she did with her host sister. “We went to a lot of different places in the city like The Whitney, SoHo, the Black Tap, and the Upper East Side.”

The Japanese students also had the opportunity to partake in T-D’s Arts House Café.  They performed an original Japanese song on March 17 at the New Rochelle Public Library.

Last year, T-D’s very own sophomore Liam Gorbutt left T-D for one year to study abroad in Hiroshima, Japan at Sera High School.

Returning with the students Gorbutt says, “Overall, the past year in Japan was the best time of my life.”

T-D is honored to have  hosted this year’s Japanese visitors and is looking forward to doing so for many more years to come.