Peace Day: In The Know

By: Brianna Henry, Staff Reporter

If you’ve been a student at Thornton-Donovan School for a year or longer, you’ve most likely

heard of the United Nations Peace Day Celebration.

And if you remember that day last year specifically, you are probably thinking about the peaceful

meditation and that fantastic drum circle. I know I remember because I was playing so hard I cut

my finger on the drum, and, like the musician with words we know him as, Mr. Chapin stepped

in and took my place while I went to get a band aid. I can recall the friendships I formed as those

doves were released to conclude the day.

This year, on Wednesday, September 21, Peace Day will triumph again. World Peace Day, or the

International Day of Peace, is an event celebrated every September 21. It is a day dedicated to

finding peace away from the strife seen daily in the news.

In recent years, T-D has shown a neighborly attitude leading up to this day by participating in

student-exchange programs abroad. This year, four student peace ambassadors from the

Rondine Cittadella della Pace in Arezzo, Italy, will participate in the celebration.

The schedule for Peace Day is quite interesting. Beginning the day at 9:30 a.m., all high school

students will engage in a meditation session. This seems like a good way to start off the year and

clear your head, especially if you’re someone who particularly enjoys the quiet sounds of nature

(like me).

Next, at 10:30 a.m. we will have our Spirit Sky Drum event, which had the students in frenzy last

year. If you like music, dancing and just simply having fun, this is for you.

At 1:00 p.m., our Rondine visiting students will speak about what peace means to them.

At 2:00 p.m., Mr. Goodman has compiled a group of T-D students and teachers who will

perform various peace-themed arrangements. Some of these performances will even have

recurring Andean themes that connect to T-D’s theme for this year.

At 2:45, doves will fly to close out the day; then, you are free to go about the rest of your day

peacefully. Hopefully, that also includes having little – if any – homework!