The student news site of Thornton-Donovan School

The Overlook Journal

Thornton-Donovan starts tennis program as newest sport

By: Yuriy Sandmeier and Timothy Malejko

Thornton-Donovan’s newest sport is tennis. Many people are looking forward to playing.

There are two groups in the program. One is for the Lower School (K-5) and one is for the Upper School (6-12). There are two groups because one is for more advanced players, and the other is for beginners.

Some people have already played tennis before this program. Some Lower School participants include Ben Malejko, Lewis Williams and Errol Lipton.

“My whole goal for the sports program was to create activities that numerous children could participate in and would also be possible each year,” said Mr. Steven Schlitten, who runs the T-D’s sports. “Since we have a beautiful tennis court and plenty of students who play tennis for fun, I figured tennis could be very successful here at T-D.”

Mr. Schlitten is hoping that the tennis program will last as long as the school is here. About sixteen students have already signed up for tennis. To get to the real tennis program, it took Mr. Schlitten about three and a half years of hard work. Thanks to Mr. Schlitten tennis is possible here at T-D.

Tyler Boglitz, a fourth grader who has played tennis before, said, “Tennis is one of the best sports that has ever been invented.”